July 17, 2001

I did go running on Thursday, before we went to the airport. I ran around the park once (1.77 miles) and then kept going. I didn’t want to keep going in the same direction, because the first third of the park is sunny (hot) and the last third is shady (cool). However, if I had turned around and re-done the shady part of the track, I would have been facing all of the people coming around. And I’m not quite confident enough to run towards people, alone. I’ll do it with Kristina, but not by myself. So I ran towards the sunny part, then turned around. I ran quite a bit, but I didn’t have my stopwatch, so I couldn’t time the running parts. It was so hot I don’t think I could have done the 7/3 again, but I stayed out for 40 minutes, which was my real goal for the day.

Friday, I was staying at Kelly’s house, and it was raining and I was feeling sorry for myself, so I didn’t go running. I knew I was going to go to the Reily Center (Tulane’s gym) with Ren and Gary on Saturday, so it was okay.

So Saturday I get up too early for a weekend (before 9, but then I had gone to bed early since I had gotten very little sleep on Thursday night) and got dressed, got some coffee and a scone for breakfast, and went over to Ren and Gary’s. Ren and I went to Southern Runner so I could get my eagerly-anticipated first pair of running shoes fitted by a running store. So I got a pair of Nike Air Structure Triax, whatever that means. Spent a bit more than I had budgeted, but they’re great shoes. Hardly any shin pain to speak of after running in them!

Then the real hell started. After fixing Kristina’s bike, we rode to the Reily Center, about 1.5-2 miles away. I should say that this may be the most significant portion of the day. I haven’t ridden a bike since the summer of 1996, when, while riding to Subway with Anne one night, I fell off my bike and landed on the road face first. Nothing major happened, but it certainly didn’t entice me to ride a bike again.

Once we got to the gym, we went around the track for 30 minutes. Nice to run on an air-conditioned, flat, indoor track, except that it was so small, I kept losing track of what number I was on. I probably did around 20 loops, a little over 2 miles. I ran probably half of that, maybe a bit more. Then we moved on to the weight room. Now, Ren and Gary have a routine: arms one day, legs the next. Today was an arm day. So I gamely went along with Gary’s torture. Suffice it to say, I overdid it and today, 3 days later, I’m still paying the price with sore, stiff arms and shoulders. Ah well. After the weight room, I rode a stationary bike for 25 minutes while Ren and Gary swam, and then we went home.

Sunday was a rest day, without a doubt. I couldn’t straighten my arms, much less lift them over my head to put on a sports bra, so running was definitely out. Anyway, I had spent 3 hours in a gym the day before. I deserved Sunday off.

Monday, thought, Kristina and I went to the park and did pretty much the same thing I had done on Thursday afternoon. We went to a movie last night, so we had to go to the park early, which meant it was still pretty hot, so we were still unable to do the 7/3 pattern. Perhaps today, because we’re not going until 6:30 or so. Might not be so bad.

Ahhh…Sportbrain stats for yesterday’s run (I don’t think it’s entirely accurate, but whatever) Distance: 2.6 miles (not a chance) Running Distance: 1.2. So probably more like distance 2.25, running distance 1 mile. Well, not too bad, considering the heat. I think our real improvements are going to happen when it cools off (well, that’s what I tell myself, anyway.)