January 14, 2002

Woah, what a weekend! Still feeling its effects somewhat. Let me just say now that I will not be drinking again until after the marathon. (More than one beer, or a glass of wine, at least.) We went out Saturday night and I imbibed waaaaaaay too much. But then that’s what birthday parties are all about, riiiight? Well, perhaps I’m getting a bit old for that. But it’s really hard to have a low-key, non-alcoholic celebration in New Orleans. I’m sure it’s possible, but improbable. Especially since Mardi Gras is less than a month away now, and the whole city is getting into party mode. Sigh. I was including Mardi Gras in my no-(excessive-)drinking policy. It will be interesting to have a sober Mardi Gras for once.

So anyway, on Saturday, I was going to go for my scheduled 7-miler, and Kristina was going to go with me, but when we walked out the door to go to the levee, it was raining. Yick. Cold rain. So Kristina said she wasn’t going to go, and I went back inside to wait for the rain to stop. After a little while, it did, so I drove to the park. On the way there, it started pouring again, so I went home and figured out what I was going to do. I decided just to wait until Sunday, even though I knew I was risking running with a hangover, but I knew I had to do it, so there was no real question. And I had friends coming in from Baton Rouge, so there was no question of not going out Saturday night, either. So Kristina and I went with a friend to look at new cars, and of course, by the time we got back home, it was sunny and beautiful, but too late to go running.

Then, Saturday night. Let’s just say too much Pimm’s was involved. And it makes for an ugly hangover.

Sunday, after eating lunch and recovering a little, Kristina and I decided to walk to the park, go twice around, and then walk home. Which equals seven miles. We walked there, ran halfway around the park twice, and then walked home. No, we didn’t run very much. Maybe 2 miles total. But we were out there, on our feet, and putting in the mileage. Just not while running. I’m not unhappy about it, I’m actually just happy I got something done. And considering how I felt, it wasn’t difficult at all, even the running part.

I had a good week before this run, so I’m not going to let it get me down, and hey, here I am starting week 4, and a new chance for a fresh start and a perfect week!

PS I’m going to put Chris’s Disney Marathon race report next to his picture below.
.: posted by pam m 9:31 AM

Course map! Must be able to refer to it from time to time.

Of course, at home, as soon as I sent in my deposit for the marathon, I went to Barnes & Noble and bought a huge A-Z map of Greater London, and mapped out the marathon course, and put little dots where all the mile markers are. Then I put pins in other notable spots around London (where I used to live, where we used to hang out, that sort of thing) and whenever I finish a race, I pin my race number at the top. I’ll have to take a picture of it and post it. It’s right next to my bed, so as I’m going to sleep, I can look at it, and get inspired and dream about running past Big Ben. Yay!