January 20, 2004

Kristina yelled at me for not posting since Thursday, so here, I’m going to post. Actually, I have lots to post about, so I won’t have to babble on about boring crap. Well, relatively speaking, anyway.

Friday night we went to the pub. Nothing dramatic there.

Saturday morning we left for Houston. We planned on leaving at 8:30 or so, to arrive at about 2:00 or thereabouts. But no. I woke up and went to take a shower, only to discover that my hot water was off. So I called my landlord, and they said they’d send a plumber out to fix it while I was gone. Meanwhile, in the background, I can hear my landlady asking, “did she pay the gas bill?” Of course I paid the freaking gas bill! Hmmph. Anyway, so then I had to shower at George’s. And it was pouring rain, and we had to run a bunch of errands before we could leave New Orleans. Therefore, we did not leave New Orleans until around 11 a.m. Ah well, we didn’t have to be anywhere at any specific time, so it didn’t matter.

It rained pretty much the entire way to Houston, which sucked, but we finally made it to George’s friend Rita’s house. Her husband was out of town, but we were entertained by their little boy, Craig, who is 15 months old and was the cutest, smiliest, happiest baby I’ve ever met. He loved George the most, of course. George, who doesn’t even like kids, had to pick Craig up and sit him on his lap. George had no clue how to pick Craig up. It was funny.


So after we settled in, we all went out to dinner at a Mexican restaurant. Yummy. Nothing exciting to report there. I had chicken flautas. Mmmm…flautas.

After dinner, George and I headed into Houston (we were staying in a town south of Houston) to go to a British pub we found on the internet. It wasn’t too hard to find, and at first glance, we were a bit worried. It was a freestanding building sandwiched between a Wendy’s and a Krispy Kreme on a busy road. Not too promising. The faux-Tudor building looked like it used to be a Steak & Ale. (Apparently it was a Chili’s at some point. Hmmm.) But once we stepped inside, we were in love with it. It was really amazing, and very, very authentic. (Except for some minor quibbles George had, including a lack of optics on the liquor bottles. Please.) There were people throwing darts, there was (non-American) football on the TV, there were beers on tap served in 20 oz pints, a roaring fire, copies of current issues of The Guardian and the London Times, and best of all, a food menu with bangers and mash! Mmmm…bangers and mash! Too bad we’d already eaten dinner.

Coincidentally, my sister was in Houston as well this weekend, so after the wedding she had gone to, she and a bunch of people from the wedding met us at the pub. (Oh yeah. It was called the Richmond Arms.) I saw her (in all of her hair-flipping glory) with her engagement ring. We talked about her wedding for a bit. After a little while, George and I went back to Rita’s house to sleep.

On Sunday, George and I went to IKEA. Yay! IKEA! I only bought a few things, including (how exciting) a wooden dish drainer. I’ve always wanted one. Pathetic, eh? He got a coffee table. Very nice. I’m guessing they don’t sell it anymore, because I couldn’t find it on the website, but it’s really cool.

Then we met Mike, Debbie, and Christian (friends who live north of Houston) at the Galleria. Damn, but that place is like mall heaven. Or hell, depending on how you look at it. There were so many cool stores. But at the same time, too many cool stores. Sigh. Didn’t spend a dime, though. Whew.

We said goodbye to M, D, and C (after hideously expensive Haagen-Dazs ice cream by the ice skating rink) and went back to the Richmond Arms. For dinner. Yay, I got my bangers and mash! It was so incredibly cozy. We sat at a table near the fireplace, had some pints, ate our dinner, read the papers. Just lovely.

Eventually we made our way back to Rita’s, and watched TV (ooh, cable!) until I fell asleep. (George had conked out at around 8, the wuss. He even made it to sleep before the baby. Yeesh.) Woke up yesterday morning, and headed back to New Orleans. About halfway back, George found out he’d have to go into work as soon as we got back home, because of some crises. He was not pleased. But I surprised him by putting together his coffee table while he was out. Ain’t I sweet? (You wouldn’t think so by the amount I was cursing IKEA while trying to hammer plastic thingies into holes just a bit too small for them. But eventually I got it.

Then I went to Whole Foods, bought some yummy groceries (including some rather expensive goat cheese that the multiply-tattooed and pierced cheese lady let me try) and thus my exciting Martin Luther King, Jr Day long weekend ended.

Now, of course, I’m broke. I don’t get paid until the Friday after next. Going to go home and find stuff to sell on eBay now.