Roasted Butternut Squash Bisque with Crabmeat (a.k.a. “Crack Soup”)
- 5 lb butternut squash, peeled and cut into 3/4″ dice
- 1 medium yellow onions, chopped
- 1 medium shallot, chopped
- 2 medium red potatoes, diced (optional)
- 1 TB dried thyme
- 3 TB extra-virgin olive oil
- sea salt, to taste
- ground pepper, to taste
- 6-8 cups chicken stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- crabmeat (1/2 cup?)
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Toss squash, onions, potatoes and thyme in olive oil. Spread mixture onto one or two large baking sheets. Season with salt and pepper. Roast 30–40 minutes until tender and carmelized, stirring once or twice. Remove from oven and transfer to a large saucepot. Add stock, wine and nutmeg. Simmer 10 minutes. Take pot off of stove and puree the soup with an immersion blender. When ready to serve, add crabmeat, bring back to simmer, and remove from heat.