Longest. Day. Ever.

I just have to document Monday so when I have a stressful day in the future, I can come back to this post and get some perspective.

7:50 am: Leave for work. The Corolla (the car I drive in the summer, since George drives the boys to camp in the van) has a low tire. I decide to stop at Walgreens on the way to get some Fix-a-Flat in case I need it. When I get there, I look in the trunk and there’s a can! The tire is a little low, so I decide to fill it up with the Fix-a-Flat.

Apparently the can of F-a-F is old, because after I have it attached to the tire, it explodes all over me. Up my arm, on my sweater, and some splashes on my face. Nothing dangerous, but I now smell like a gas pump. (Not the worst smell in the world for about five seconds, and then it gets old fast.)

I go into Walgreens and buy another can of F-a-F. The cashier notes that the can smells like gas. No, I respond, that’s just me.

Thankfully, the application of the newer can goes smoothly and all seems well. I drive to work.

12:45: I leave work to head back across the river to pick up the boys from camp. They have a checkup at the dentist.

1:45: We are almost to the dentist’s office when the car starts making a strange sound and is shaking. From the backseat, the boys helpfully inform me that we have a flat tire. Fortunately, we are right by a gas station and so I pull in, and we all go inside to buy more Fix-a-Flat. This time, everything goes smoothly and the tire inflates. I determine that after the dentist, we’ll go to Sam’s, which is right around the corner, for a new tire.

2:00: Dentist appointment! It all goes very smoothly. No cavities!




3:00: We arrive at Sam’s. I am informed by the gentleman behind the tire counter that the wait will be 3 hours. There are twelve cars in front of me. A little piece of me dies. There is nothing I can do, really. I would rather entertain my children in Sam’s than at a random tire place that stinks of rubber. So I say okay.

The next three and a half hours:

It wasn’t all fun and games. At one point, I peeled the boys away from the iPad display (which was very handy for me, as I was able to keep my phone charged) so we could go wander the aisles, and an older woman working a sample station said, “oh, triplets! how terrible! I feel so sorry for you!” (or something intensely negative, along those lines.) I looked at her with disbelief and said, “no! I am very lucky!” I mean, it’s not as if the boys were doing anything obnoxious at that point. So we went to drool over the cupcakes (downside of Sam’s: couldn’t buy the boys one cupcake. And I wasn’t going to buy them thirty. At least they give out cookies at the bakery section.) and a few minutes later, the woman came back over to me and apologized. I couldn’t believe it. She said she didn’t mean it the way it came out, and my boys were beautiful and well-behaved, blah dee blah blah. So that was actually pretty nice to hear.

But THEN. We had been there about two hours. We were walking over to the tire department to check on how things were moving along, and one of the boys walked in front of someone’s cart. No big deal, he got out of the way, but then I heard this evil bitter old hag say to her friend something like, “that woman needs to control her kids.”


I was SO mad. I called over to her, “EXCUSE ME? I CAN HEAR YOU!” She just looked over and kept saying nasty things to her friend and kept walking. I was SO angry. HOW DARE SHE? What did she want? For me to have all three of them holding hands, silently, walking carefully? They’re kids. They’re five. We were in Sam’s, not a china shop. It took everything in me not to curse loudly at her, but the boys were looking at me, wondering why I was so angry all of a sudden. Man, I am getting pissed just thinking about it. They weren’t even misbehaving. Now, had she seen them while they were running down the aisles and playing hide-and-go-seek, I might have been SLIGHTLY more understanding and might have just flipped her off behind her back. But this…ugh.

We were sitting at a table in the cafe area having Icees when I saw her leave with her friend. I took a picture. It made me feel better.

Anyway, some time after that, our car was done! At least it was cheap.

Got home, and I immediately escaped and went to the pool to relax and unwind. Ahhhh….

5 thoughts on “Longest. Day. Ever.

  1. I’m sorry you had to deal with the general idiocy, but thanks for the laugh. Hurray for no cavities!


  2. Good grief!! What a jerk that woman was. Ugh. My hats off to you for keeping them entertained for an ETERNITY while you waited for the tire!! Wonder Mama !!


  3. Dear evil old hag…why don’t you shut your mouth and worry about yourself. IF YOU even knew what its like to have multiples maybe you would be a bit more understanding. Please shut your face. Sorry I have had one of those stupid ppl before and it always angers me.


  4. Love this post!!!….because no-one understands unless their a mom of multiples. Some people are just rude and get on my nerves. I’d like to see them handle twins or triplets in a store. I’m pretty sure she couldn’t have done any better. :)’

    {I found your blog thru Kelly’s Korner….there’s a link-up on her blog and someone commented that yours was one of their favorites…so I decided to check it out.}

    I look forward to following you.



Comments are closed.