One fateful morning

Even though it’s been nearly two years since the fateful day, I don’t think I ever posted on my blog the detailed story of how we found out we were having triplets. It’s still pretty vivid in my mind, after all this time, so I think I will post it now. Just so I have it written. Since this is as close as the boys will ever get to a baby book. Heh.

It was June 6, 2007. A Wednesday. I was 7 weeks and 3 days pregnant.

I’d already had an appointment with my OB three weeks prior, when I was just four and a half weeks pregnant. At that appointment, I just talked to the doctor, he did an exam, and I had some blood tests done. It was confirmed I was indeed pregnant, but that was it. No ultrasounds or anything (not that there would have been anything to see at that point.)

So that first ultrasound. My OB did ultrasounds on all of his pregnant patients at around seven weeks to rule out ectopic pregnancies. It was a morning appointment. George came with me. I was so nervous, because I hadn’t had any morning sickness yet. I didn’t feel pregnant at all. We’d just gotten back from California, and the memory of the noodles we’d eaten at a restaurant in Chinatown made me kind of queasy, but that’s it. We went through the drive-through of a McDonald’s on the way there so I could get something to drink and George could get a bite to eat. I was far too nervous to eat. I remember thinking as we sat in the drive-through line, “boy, I hope it’s not twins.”

We got to the doctor’s office and signed in at the ultrasonographer’s office. I was nervous. So nervous. It wasn’t a long wait, but it might as well have been hours. Finally, I am called back. George had to wait in the waiting room during the ultrasound, but he would be allowed to come back after the tech had taken all measurements and such.

I’d heard you were supposed to have a full bladder for this early of an ultrasound but fortunately, the technician said I wouldn’t need to, so she let me use the bathroom before we got started. Soon enough, I was up on the table, and the ultrasound began.

I couldn’t see the screen, and the technician was quiet. Very quiet. Every so often she’d ask me to hold my breath while she clicked things on her keyboard and moved the wand around. A few minutes in, she asked, “have you had any morning sickness?”

I replied, “no,” and assumed the worst. Why would you ask such a thing? Clearly, it was because there was no baby in there. I stared at the ceiling tiles and just willed her to tell me already. Just give me the bad news. I was prepared. Just stop torturing me. But she continued to click and scan and have me hold very still.

After an eternity, she asked me to go get George so he could take a look. At this point, I was somewhat relieved. She didn’t seem to have terrible news for us, and she wouldn’t ask George to take a look if there was nothing good to see, right? So I went and got him from the waiting room.

{{At this point, my memory is somewhat foggy. You can understand, right? Shock does that to you.}}

We walk in, and as I go to sit back on the table, she says something that will change our lives forever.

“You’re having triplets.”


I just remember at that point, completely withdrawing into myself. The entire world shrinking to the size of a pea, I don’t know, was I blacking out? Utter and complete shock. I don’t know. I laid back on the table and grabbed George’s hand. He was silent. He was sitting. I don’t remember if he said anything. The first things that ran through my head were terror and disappointment. I was scared. I wasn’t supposed to have multiples! I wanted a natural childbirth, a fun stroller, cloth diapers, breastfeeding. I could see all of these expectations of parenthood slipping away.

High-risk pregnancy. Bedrest. Miscarriage. Premature babies. It was scary. I was not excited. I think I cried a little. Or I wanted to.

Then the tech asked us if we wanted a recording of the ultrasound. I said yes, of course. George looked through his wallet for ten dollars. He gave it to her and she put a DVD into the machine to record the rest of the scan.

And you can watch that part for yourself…

After the scan was done, we had to go upstairs to my OB’s office to talk to him. We sat in the waiting area and I could see nurses peeking into the room, staring at us and whispering to each other. Oh yes, the freak show had begun.

We went into his office, and he said, “oh yes, I thought your uterus felt big at your last appointment.” Ha ha!

But then we talked about the dangers. Possible complications. “Don’t tell anyone it’s triplets until you hit twelve weeks.” And then there was, “you were built for a triplet pregnancy!” And George’s favorite, “Go. Have a drink. Both of you. I don’t normally tell my patients this, but Pam, have a glass of wine. Let it sink in.” In a daze, we left the office and got into my car.

“We’re going to need a minivan.”

We headed to the pub. It wasn’t even noon, but our friend James, the owner, let us in and served us our drinks. Of course we told him. I called my mom. She laughed. I called my friends. Most of them didn’t believe me. I couldn’t blame them, I barely believed it myself. I went back to work and informed my coworkers. It was a surreal day.

And two days shy of six months later, the boys were born. πŸ™‚

14 thoughts on “One fateful morning

  1. Stephanie

    OMG what a great story!!

    I have been following your blog for only a little while now and just look forward to your all your new post. Your boys are very handsome!


  2. Helen

    Ahhh memories huh Pam? How terrible for that U/S tech to keep you in suspense though! At least I could see the screen and knew the babies (I just didn’t know there were so many) were healthy and moving.

    Oh, and I didn’t have morning sickness either! Lucky us πŸ™‚


  3. Lindsay

    That is hysterical! I love that he told you to go have a drink, only in new orleans! I loved watching the U/S you sound totally in shock.


  4. Heather D

    So I am totally in tears over that post. Thanks for sharing. What a journey you have been on. I love the u/s tech comment at the end of the video…. “you’re the lucky one!”.


  5. Heather

    Wow. What a powerful post. Really a great one though, I enjoyed it. Thanks for your honesty and open heart. Your boys are so lucky to have the two of you and live in such a passionate and understanding place – I’m sure you needed a drink after that shock.


  6. Angie

    Wow, your post had me in tears! I remember that time- I was pregnant with a single boy- I think we shared an original EDD in January. Your boys are so cute! It’s fun to compare them- they are all going through the same stages now as my one! Loved the video- you sounded like you were going to pass out!


  7. Shannon

    Great post. I remember when we found out we were having twins: it was our third ultrasound! “I wanted a natural childbirth, a fun stroller, cloth diapers, breastfeeding. I could see all of these expectations of parenthood slipping away.” I felt exactly this way too.


  8. Carla

    What a fantastic post. It has really stuck with me since I read it yesterday. I was pregnant at the same time (DD is 15 months now and loves kissing pics of your boys :)) and I remember thinking how calm you seemed about it all and how easily you seem to adjust, you certainly hid any wobbly moments well πŸ™‚ I was so married to my expectations of parenthood during my pregancy, i can really identify with how hard it must have been to let them all go. But what a reward you have now πŸ™‚ Keep blogging, me and dd love reading/kissing. Happy Easter!


  9. Hadley

    Awww! I remember when you called me, your voice was so soft, I had to have you repeat it a few times! And, yes, then the giggling started. I love this story. I love that it was a total surprise for you and George. Yay, triplets!!!


  10. Stacy

    What a wonderful story! Thanks for sharing! I’m curious – did you get to (or even attempt to) do *any* of the cloth diapering or breastfeeding with them? I have a friend with twins who is doing both, but I can’t imagine how someone could keep up with three! Of course you are a Giftie and can do anything you put your mind to!!! They sure are cuties! I especially love your month-by-month montage!


  11. pyjammy

    Stacy – we did cloth diaper them for about a week. So now I have a big stash of barely-used cloth diapers that I need to get around to selling. Alas! But since daycare wouldn’t use them, and I didn’t want to use them overnight, we only ended up using maybe one per day per kid. And so I would have to run a small load of laundry every day. Not very efficient. So I gave up. πŸ˜›

    As far as breastfeeding goes, we tried it in the NICU when the boys got to the right gestational age. I think Linus did okay, the other two didn’t, really, and by the time we got them home and they were old enough, I just didn’t have the time or energy to keep trying. So I pumped for a while, but I never got much milk. They’d get maybe one bottle of breastmilk a day for two months. Sigh.


  12. Sarah

    Awesome! I, too, remember the day of our first ultrasound revealing multiples.Β  My husband and I still laugh like it’s an inside joke repeating the words of our tech: “there’s the heartbeat….aaaaaand there’s the other heartbeat.”Β  Right after the ultrasound, the nurse checked my blood pressure and scolded me for it being so high, even as I protested “but I just found out that there’s TWO babies in there!”Β  ha!


Comments are closed